Functions of the components of the plasma membrane
- Functions of lipids in the plasma membrane:
- They regulate resistance and fluidity. The fluidity depends on the length and degree of saturation of the fatty acids of the phospholipids. The more saturated and long, the lower the fluidity. The cholesterol is involved in the movement of phospholipids, decreasing the flow.
- They regulate permeability. Water-soluble molecules cannot pass through the membrane due to their hydrophobic interior.
- Functions of the proteins of the plasma membrane:
- Functions of oligosaccharides of the plasma membrane: