Spinal cord injuries
The spinal cord can be affected by different causes such as tumors, herniated discs, wounds, trauma.
Depending on where the injury occurs and its severity, paralysis may occur. The paralysis is the loss of mobility of part or the whole body. There are several types of paralysis:
- Monoplegia, when paralysis of a limb occurs.
- Dysplegia, paralysis of two extremities (upper or lower) occurs.
- Paraplegia, lower limb paralysis.
- Quadriplegi, loss of mobility of all four limbs.
- Hemiplegia, paralysis of the upper and lower limbs on the same side.
If a complete cross-section of the spinal cord occurs, all voluntary sensations and movements below the level of the section are lost.