Cenozoic era (65 m.y. to today)
The Cenozoic Era is divided into two periods:
The main events of the Cenozoic were:
- The continents that had been fragmented from Pangea continued their separation to their current position.
- When the fragmented continents of Pangea collided, mountain ranges such as the Alps, Pyrenees, and Himalayas were formed. The Alpine orogeny was developed .
- The Atlantic Ocean continues to expand.
- Climate cooling. In the Quaternary there were four glaciations that alternated with other warmer interglacial periods.
- Diversification of mammals. They are spread all over the Earth.
- Appearance of hominids and the human species.